Monday, July 21, 2008

A New York Minute

Well, I officially spent a full day away from the kids this weekend. Diana and I took the train into NYC to see Legally Blonde at the Palace Theater. I'd forgotten how it feels to be responsible only for myself! No one wanted anything from me for the whole entire day, and I got to do something adult. Fantastic!

getting ready to leave....

I was also reminded how much I dislike Times Square. Seriously, does any real New Yorker spend time there? Judging by the number of tourists in t-shirts and fanny packs, I think the answer to that question is a resounding NO. Why would anyone want to go there anyway? The only things there are billboards and chain stores with glitter. Yuck!

On the positive side, though, the play was very entertaining and we went to a cool vegetarian Asian restaurant afterward for dinner. Unusual for me to be able to order anything on the menu without scrutinizing the ingredients! We also had a pre-show Guinness at an Irish pub called the Pig and Whistle. Real Irish bartender named Connor. Very refreshing in the sweltering heat (the beer, not the bartender).

One other reflection on New York. Why is ANY pizza you get there so much better than anywhere else??? I had a slice at Penn Station and was reminded just how good that particular food item is in NYC. Maybe it's the extra grime?!?

I managed to get home in time for my usual bedtime, but I felt like I'd been away for a week's vacation. Today the girls woke me up when they came bounding into the room at 6:15. I can tell that they missed me because they were giggling and saying "mommy's home!". I know I missed them because I didn't mind getting up to grab a quick morning cuddle instead of a few extra winks.

1 comment:

Mike Burke said...

I'm glad you had a great trip! Great job keeping the children alive, Greg!