Thursday, December 3, 2009

Who knew you could make THAT?

Today's surprising food creation was homemade TORTiLLAS! You know, the kind you can buy at the grocery store. Soft, yummy flour ones. Turns out, it's super easy, cheap and takes about as much time as buying them at the store.

Kitchen Stewardship has an excellent tutorial for making tortillas in different ways. I chose the first version - AP flour, water, salt and coconut oil. This was the first time I broke out the coconut oil, primarily because I didn't have time to let butter soften. Nor did I have time to let the dough sit in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours. They still turned out GREAT! I was surprised that the coconut oil tasted great in the recipe - just a hint of coconut, not off-putting at all.

I loved making the tortillas on the cast iron skillet while the other components of our fajitas were cooking. What fun and EVERYONE liked them!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

What is AP flour, mamasita?